Saturday, March 14, 2015

Childhood Friends

Me and Larde
What is your earliest childhood memory?  How old were you when that memory was made?  3 years old? 4?  5 or older?  However old you were, I hope the memory is a good one. Some of my earliest and fondest memories are when I was about three or four years old.  I lived in a small house with my father, mother and three siblings.  A few houses down from us on the same block lived an elderly gentleman who I called Larde (pronounced Lardey).  A nickname I gave him because I evidently could not pronounce his actual last name.  Yes, I was living in a time when children actually called adults by their last name, prefaced with Mr. or Mrs.
Larde was a wonderful man, he treated me kindly and I loved him.  He was a widower and a retired gardener who loved flowers.  African Violets were his favorites.  I remember he had several small flower gardens in his front yard and many more flower pots on tables inside his screened in front porch. Our friendship took place in his front yard.  It was there where I learned how to do somersaults and cartwheels with him cheering me on after every little accomplishment.  I remember he always shared peanuts with me.  Next door to Larde lived another family who had a little boy about my age.  Joey and I spent hours in Larde's front yard playing all sorts of games while Larde watched and made sure we didn't get hurt.  It was a very enjoyable time in my life.  My family moved to a bigger house in a different neighborhood after a couple of years and I met new friends and had new adventures.  But, I never forgot the times I spent in Larde's front yard.

I think it is important for all of us to keep our good memories alive.  Whatever they may be.  We can still stay focused on the present and plan for the future, but by recalling a pleasant memory or two occasionally......well, it helps make it easier to keep a more positive outlook on life.  And that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment