Friday, March 6, 2015

A Promise Assured

Uphill
Written By 
Christina Rossetti

Does the road wind uphill all the way?
Yes, to the very end.
Will the day's journey take the whole long day?
From morn to night, my friend.

But is there for the night a resting-place?
A roof for when the slow dark hours begin.
May not the darkness hide it from my face?
You cannot miss that inn.

Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?
Those who have gone before.
Then must I knock, or call when just in sight?
They will not keep you standing at that door.

Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?
Of labor you shall find the sum.
Will there be beds for me and all who seek?
Yea, beds for all who come.


Have you ever traveled in a strange city or country totally by yourself? Did you ever have any misgivings about the reception that you would find at your journey's end?  This poem is about that very thing.  The traveler in this poem is taking the one journey that we all will eventually take, one that we must ultimately take alone. The journey from life as we know it, through death, to another life which we can only imagine and take on faith. Wouldn't you like to ask some questions, to be assured of what your new life will be like?  Listen in and then know that the poet and I believe the promise of eternal life will not be broken.

This is a poem with two speakers.  I have named them "The Weary One" and "The Comforter."  The poem starts with a question from "The Weary One" and is immediately answered in the next line by "The Comforter."  The conversation continues in this manner throughout the entire poem.  First a question, then an answer.  In this way "The Weary One" is assured over and over again that he will find rest and comfort at his journey's end.

In the first verse, "The Weary One" asks if "the road" or journey is all uphill. "The Comforter" confirms that it is.  To me this is saying life will always be a struggle.  The question is asked if the journey will take the entire day. Symbolically speaking, "The Weary One" is asking if he has to really go through each step of his life.  Is there a shortcut?  The answer comes back that there are no shortcuts in life.  The journey must be completed in its entirety. This verse is the only one which does not give straightforward comfort to "The Weary One." In a way though, it is comforting because it lets "The Weary One" and the reader know that everyone must live through his or her entire life.  There are no shortcuts for anyone.  We are all equal.

The rest of the poem is very comforting.  For every question "The Weary One" asks, "The Comforter" has a positive answer.  In the second verse "The Weary One" asks if there will be a resting place for the night.  What he is saying is, when life is through will there be a place for me?  "The Comforter" says yes. "The Weary One" is then worried if he will be able to find his resting place and "The Comforter" assures him that he cannot miss it.

In the third verse "The Weary One" is worried that when he arrives he will be alone, but "The Comforter" tells him he will meet others who have gone before him.  Next comes the question of how to gain entrance to this resting place and "The Comforter" assures "The Weary One" that he will not be kept standing at the door.  This is telling us that no matter when our life's journey is over, our place in heaven is already reserved and waiting for us.

In the last verse "The Weary One" asks if he will find comfort and ease from all the pains of his labors through life.  The answer given is "Of labor you shall find the sum."  This means, in essence, that you will reap what you sow.  If you have lived a good life and kept true to yourself and God, your reward will be great in Heaven.  The final question that is asked is will there be enough room for everyone who wants in?  "The Comforter" simply says yes, enough beds for all who ask to come in.

This is a very symbolic and comforting poem for me.  It gives me the assurance that at the end of my journey through life, there will be a comforting and restful place waiting for me in heaven.

***********************************************************************************************
What is written above was an assignment for an English class back when I was in college.  I decided to include it in my blog because even after all these years it is still a very comforting poem for me.  I know some of you reading my blog may hold different beliefs than I do on the subject of death and the eternal life that follows.  That is okay.  I am not trying to challenge or change your beliefs. I am simply showing you, through this poem, why my faith in God and my religious beliefs are comforting to me.  When life gets chaotic, it is good to stop and take a moment to remember what is important, what makes you happy, and what brings you peace of mind.










No comments:

Post a Comment