Saturday, April 25, 2015

A Sense of Peace

One of my grandfathers.
I never had the chance to meet him.

There is so much hatred and unrest in our world today that it is easy to lose sight of old traditions.  As Memorial Day approaches, I would like to share with you a tradition I have to honor those people who helped make me the person I am today.  Since 2006, I have placed small bouquets of silk flowers on the graves of ancestors and friends who have no one left to remember that they existed and were loved.  I started out with just a few graves, but several years ago I decorated a total of 117 graves in 7 different cemeteries around the
Siouxland area.  Most are relatives whom I have known or ancestors who died before I was born.  One is a childhood friend who died much too young.  Another is an elementary school teacher who really touched my life.  Several elderly couples were my neighbors when I was a child.  And there is the man who was my piano teacher and his wife.

This tradition may sound silly to you, but it keeps me grounded and reminds me of what is truly important and how precious life can be.  I hope you try it sometime.  You just might find that it gives you a sense of peace to honor those who have carved a trail for you on this Earth, even before you were born. 

May we all have a safe and peaceful Memorial Day.            

No comments:

Post a Comment